Friday, July 20, 2007

PLAINSONG- by kent haruf

This is one of those books that sneaks up on you. The story of several different characters seems to lack the suspense/climax/drama/high stakes that appear to make most books appealing. However, I found myself drawn to the simplicity of Plainsong. Placed in the small town of Holt, Colorado, each chapter details the parallel lives of one of several characters; Victoria Roubideaux- a pregnant 17 year old, Guthrie- a teacher and father who's recently separated, Ike and Bobby- his 9 and 10 year old sons, Raymond and Harold McPheron- two old farmers, and Maggie Jones- the woman who causes all of their lives to intersect. The crisp descriptive and delicate interweaving had me flipping pages to learn more about the characters I could almost call friends.
Netflix rating?4.5/5 stars.

1 comment:

And said...

This sounds like a book I'd really like...I like those middle of the country family stories...too bad I have sooooo many books to read already!