Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions


After I took the required Algebra, Geometry and Trigonometry in high school, I was done with math. I wasn't good at it, it wasn't a "fun challenge" and it made me anxious and miserable. I knew practical applications of math, like how to calculate 25% off while shopping, and even how to calculate a nifty 18% tip. I knew how to count change back using the fewest coins possible and I could balance my checkbook. But in the IB program everyone had to test in some math...realizing that some of us were more artistically based, a class called Math Studies was created just for us. Have you ever had to compose a term paper for a math class? I did. I wrote mine on the geometry of sailing. Annie wrote hers on the geometry of billiards (keep in mind that diagrams added to the total number of pages submitted-- another practical math application!). I can't remember what Caron wrote hers on....Caron? By the time I got to college I did have to take Calculus. My mom signed me up for an intro class at Butler County Community College the summer before Sophomore year, figuring that a failing grade in a community college would be serve as a prep for my BU class, and hopefully allow that I get a C+ there. My mom is very smart.
Fast forward ten years. Mihee rightfully encourages teens, especially girls, into math and science careers. She mentors and leads a fulfilling life in the lab (with excursions to bars, parties, and book club). When it's Mihee's turn to pick a book for book club, we all groan and know that she is earnest in her obscure pick, which this month was Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions by Edwin Abbott. Despite Mihee assuring me that it was a "romance" I wasn't fooled for long. THIS IS A BOOK ABOUT MATH! There is even a quote on the back from Mathematics Teacher. It was only 83 pages, so I read it. A square in flatland is introduced by a sphere to the novely of spaceland. But more than onerous math, this book contained the 3 things I most despise in this world: sexism, racism and religious proselytizing and persecution. Because I respect Mihee and because she tries to educate, I will give this book 2 netflix stars. Also because it was only 83 pages. That's it.

1 comment:

stephanie said...

Wow. I think I'm glad I'm in grad school and have no time to read!