Thursday, August 16, 2007

Bags Are Packed

I stopped by the Brookline Booksmith yesterday to pick up Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert . It is the next pick for book club and when I reserved it at the library, the queue was 116. Plus, I'm going on vacation so thought it would be good to have my own copy. But the Booksmith is a triple threat as Steph has noted before: new books, discounted new books, and used books! I knew I shouldn't but...a conversation with Mihee this past weekend reminded me of my love of Carson McCullers, and I found a beautiful old Penguin Classic of The Ballad of the Sad Cafe. The Penguin Classics have a distinctive orange cover and the Booksmith had many...D.H. Lawrence, Jack Kerouac, William S. Burroughs. G has a nice illustrated book of the many covers of Penguin, and, as an aside, the entire library of Peguin Classics, would certainly give your bookshelves a useful job, would set you back a pretty penny, and would likely take at least two lifetimes to read!
I'll be on vacation next week, but with luck, will have a few new books to review after.

No comments: