Wednesday, June 13, 2007

A WALK IN THE WOODS- by bill bryson

This book had been recommended to me by two people who's judgement I trust, and it didn't disappoint. Shelved in the travel section, Bryson shares his time on the Appalachian Trail in a humorous fashion that doesn't feel like the typical travel book. His stories of mishap, other hikers encountered on the trail, and of course, his hiking pal Katz, made me itch to take six months off work and set off on the 2200 mile hike from Atlanta to northern Maine. As an example of his gut busting style, here's one of my favorite quotes (which can be found on page 19): "What on earth would I do if four bears came into my camp? Why, I would die, of course. Literally sh*t myself lifeless. I would blow my sphincter out my backside like one of those unrolling paper streamers you get at children's parties- I daresay it would even give a merry toot- and bleed to a messy death in my sleeping bag."- Bill Bryson. Netflix rating? 4.5/5 stars.

No comments: