Wednesday, November 28, 2007

ORIGIN- by diana abu-jaber

Since Andrea finished this first and therefore beat me to the review, I'll omit the plot outline and cut straight to my opinion.
I too, haven't read a mystery in ages, but tend to stick to the more mainstream "bookclub books" like Water for Elephants, A Million Little Pieces, etc. So this was a welcome change of pace which I read quickly, but in two shots- the first half in the three days after I borrowed it from the library, and the last half a few days before our meeting. The characters and story line were entertaining and held my interest, but at times I was annoyed with how obvious something was to the reader, yet wasn't "discovered" by the character until much later on. I was also a little concerned at the beginning when it seemed like there might be some questionable background with Lena (you'll understand if you read it), and was happy that there was a slightly reasonable explanation in the end.
All in all, it was an entertaining read, but not quite as puzzling as I'd have liked it.
Netflix rating? 3/5 stars.

No comments: